One of the primary goals of the Swedish Massage is to relax the entire body. But Swedish Massage Therapy goes beyond relaxation. Swedish massage is exceptionally beneficial for increasing the level of oxygen in the blood, decreasing muscle toxins, and improving circulation and flexibility, while easing tension.
Volunteers who received a 45-minute Swedish massage experienced significant decreases in levels of the stress hormone cortisol, as well as a hormone that can lead to increases in cortisol. Also, it showed an increase in the number of lymphocytes, white blood cells that are part of the immune system, and a boost in the immune cells that may help fight colds and the flu.
There are numerous physical benefits associated with the use of Swedish massage:
1. Loosening tight muscles and stretching connective tissues
2. Relieving cramps and muscle spasms and decreasing muscle fatigue
3. Loosening joints and improving range of motion
4. Increasing muscle strength
5. Calming the nervous system
6. Stimulating blood circulation
7. Firming up muscle and skin tone
8. Relieving symptoms of such disorders as asthma , arthritis, carpal tunnel syndrome , chronic and acute pain syndromes, myofacial pain, headache , temporomandibular joint (TMJ) dysfunction, and athletic injuries
9. Speeding up healing from injury and illness
10. Improving lymphatic drainage of metabolic wastes